Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Where to begin...

Let me introduce myself;  My name is Tracy and I am 46, a wife and a mother to 2 very busy teenage boys.  I am a cookbook addict.  I hope to share with you, my readers, my passion for good food, the comfort of preparing food and the excitement of sharing a meal with family and friends.

Food...we all love it, we all need it.  But how we get to it is different for all of us. 
I love to prepare food (aka. meals).  It makes me happy.  It relaxes me.  It gives me pleasure to share.  I recognize that many people don't share the same passion and interest.  Cooking is a often considered a chore or something to be avoided.  Surely you know the old "I know what I'm making for dinner tonight...reservations" cliche.  Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of nights that I say "we are just going out tonight"!  But even on those nights, when I'm sitting enjoying my meal (hopefully but not always), I have in the back of my mind that I could have made something just as quickly as it took to drive to the restaurant, order and wait for our food and absolutely just as delicious.  I love that food has been put front and center with so many new cooking shows.  I am not a fan of the idiot box, but I will always pause in the living room when The Food Network has been turned on!

So, my goal here is to help you find joy in cooking and eating (and yes...I will get to the Joy of Cooking cookbook).  In finding that fun I hope that you will begin to connect more with the food that you eat as well as the manner in which you eat it.  I believe that if we can not learn to savor our food - there is no hope in learning to slow down and savor our lives, something I think is desperately lacking in today's society. 
Some facts:  Each of us will consume an average of 750,000 meals in our life.  This will take approximately 38,000 hours or almost 4 1/2 years.  That will double (almost 9 years of our lives) if we add in preparing our meals.  WOW...I would really rather enjoy these moments and not rush through them.  Otherwise haven't I missed almost a decade of my life?

That all said - why don't you tell me what your biggest obstacle to enjoying preparing and eating your meals is....we'll go from there!

No comments:

Post a Comment